When Should You Take Your Vitamins?
Learn when to take your vitamins and minerals for maximum benefit
Most people who take nutritional supplements grab a handful and toss them all down the gullet first thing in the morning. But if you’re going to the trouble to learn about your essential nutritional needs—and spending hard-earned money to buy the right supplements—it only makes sense that you also learn when to take them so you will get the most benefit.
This list will guide you as to which vitamins and minerals should be taken before meals, after meals, and between meals. However, due to the vast number of combination vitamins, use this as a general guide only.
- Multivitamin or multimineral formula
- Digestive aide for the gallbladder
- Vitamin B complex
- Individual B vitamins
- Vitamin C complex
- Individual minerals (calcium, potassium, etc.)
- Iron supplements
- Protein powder (unless used in diet for blood sugar, weight loss, etc.)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Chlorophyll (oil soluble)
- Digestive enzymes (pepsin, HCL, etc., all those except for the gallbladder)
- Herbs used to aid digestion (comfrey, pepsin, etc.)
- Iodine (unless instructed otherwise)
- Most oils or oil-based nutrients (linseed oil, evening primrose oil, wheat germ, etc.)
- R.N.A. (ribonucleic acid)
- Yeast products (Brewer’s yeast tablets, lactic acid yeast, etc.)
- Chlorophyll (water soluble)
- Glandulars and similar tissue extracts
- Most herbs (except for those used in digestion)
- Sodium products
More Dr. Williams Advice on Nutritional Support and Overall Wellness
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain