What Is High Blood Pressure?
Learn how hypertension and cardiovascular disease go hand in hand
High blood pressure, or hypertension, has become so prevalent in our society that it's perceived as a "minor" problem. Nothing could be further from the truth.
You may not feel the effects of high blood pressure (if your blood vessels had nerves you certainly would), but your heart does. High blood pressure contributes to atherosclerosis by making your arteries more vulnerable to fat deposits and clogging. Consequently, your heart must work much harder to circulate blood, and it demands more oxygen from your lungs to get the job done. This is why people with severe high blood pressure can experience shortness of breath and dizziness.
The additional stress on the heart caused by high blood pressure also raises your risk of other cardiovascular problems. For example, hypertension makes you—
- Three times more susceptible to dying from a heart attack
- Four times more susceptible to heart failure
- Seven times more susceptible to stroke
Fortunately, there are many natural treatments for high blood pressure, minimize (or avoid altogether) the need for unnecessary and potentially dangerous medications, and prevent heart disease.
More Dr. Williams Advice on Blood Pressure
- Common causes of high blood pressure
- What blood pressure numbers mean and how to know if yours is normal
- The proper way to take blood pressure
- Which foods to eat and which foods to avoid for lowering blood pressure
- Lifestyle habits that lower blood pressure naturally
- Vitamins and minerals that complement blood pressure–lowering programs
- Why you should be wary of conventional high blood pressure treatments
- The dangers of using diuretics to control high blood pressure
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain