This chocolate cake showcases some of nature's tastiest antioxidants, in the form of unsweetened cocoa powder and walnuts. It is a cake so delicious you wouldn't think it could be so good for you!
- 4 large free-range eggs
- ¾ cup xylitol
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. orange extract
- ¾ cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped baking chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs well. Stir in the xylitol and other wet ingredients.
- Grind the rolled oats into flour, using a coffee grinder or food processor.
- In another bowl, combine and mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients, walnuts and chocolate to the wet ingredients, stirring just until all the flour is mixed in. (Caution: Overworking the batter can produce a tough cake).
- Grease a 9-inch tube pan and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then test with a toothpick every few minutes—the cake is done when the toothpick comes out just a little moist.
Note: Approximate baking time is 30 minutes, but baking the cake just a tad short of “done” makes for a moister cake.