One of the Best Flu Prevention Tactics Revealed
Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the best ways to protect yourself against the flu this winter. Unfortunately, the struggle to get a good night’s sleep is an exhausting battle shared by many.
Sleep is the critical period when your body rests and rejuvenates. Studies indicate that when sleep patterns are interrupted, the levels of natural killer cells of a person’s immune system are significantly reduced. And natural killer cells are your immune system’s first line of defense against invading pathogens.
As a starting point for getting the restorative rest you need, follow these “good sleep tips” provided by the National Sleep Foundation:
- Maintain a standard, relaxing bedtime routine.
- Stick to regular sleep times.
- Keep bedrooms dark, cool, and quiet.
- Make sure pillows, mattresses, and bedding are comfortable.
- Exercise regularly, but stop at least three hours before bedtime.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages (and for adults, alcohol) at least eight hours before turning in.
- Keep work, computers, and TVs out of bedrooms.
I also suggest that you:
- Avoid less obvious sources of caffeine like chocolate, chocolate-flavored foods, soft drinks, and salt, which can act as a mild stimulant to the adrenal glands.
- Take a look at the medications you’re using. One of the biggest detriments to sleep is the widespread use of both over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Even seemingly harmless sinus and nasal congestion medications can be strong nervous system stimulants that can interfere with sleep.
Finally, instead of getting a prescription for a sleep aid from your doctor, first consider using natural sleep-promoting supplements, like melatonin, valerian, and chamomile.
Now it's your turn: How do you get a restful night's sleep?
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain