Nutrients for Overall Heart Health
Nutrients for Overall Heart Health
Learn which nutrients can help keep your cardiovascular system functioning at its best
These nutrients are recommended to improve your cardiovascular health and promote healthy cholesterol levels. All dosages are daily unless specified otherwise.
- Alfalfa leaf powder — 100 mg. Helps support healthy fat metabolism and normal cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Cayenne — 50 mg. Contains the compound capsaicin, which helps maintain healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- CoQ10 — 60–200 mg. CoQ10 facilitates the production of cellular energy and serves as a powerful antioxidant.
- Folic acid — 400–800 mcg. Folic acid helps maintain normal homocysteine levels. Homocysteine accelerates the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and can damage arteries.
- Garlic — 600 mg. Supports the heart’s healthy fat metabolism and helps maintain proper cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Green tea — 50–100 mg. Contains several active bioflavonoids, which promote capillary and small vessel strength.
- Hawthorn standard red extract — 160 mg. Promotes healthy endothelial lining of the heart cavities and blood vessels, and the smoothness of artery walls.
- L-arginine — 3 grams twice daily. Helps maintain healthy blood flow.
- L-carnitine — 100–150 mg. Promotes efficient heart function.
- Lecithin — 1–2 tablespoons granular lecithin. Lecithin helps cholesterol stay dissolved in the blood and able to be excreted from the body.
- L-taurine — 200–400 mg. Supports proper heart function by normalizing potassium flow in and out of the heart muscle and aiding in free-radical elimination.
- Magnesium (oxide, aspartate, ascorbate) — 500–800 mg. Magnesium supports the heart’s ability to expand, contract, and pump blood efficiently. It increases the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood and inhibits platelet clotting. Finally, magnesium is critical to getting potassium into cells.
- Niacin (vitamin B3) — 50 mg. Niacin has been shown to reduce total cholesterol levels while raising HDL levels.
- Quercetin — 50–100 mg. This bioflavonoid helps stop oxidization of LDL cholesterol and reduce the stickiness of platelets in the bloodstream.
- Selenium — 200 mcg. Selenium acts as a potent antioxidant and has been shown to directly prevent atherosclerosis.
- Siberian ginseng — 180–300 mg. Can increase the conversion of L-arginine to nitric oxide. This improves blood flow to the muscles in times of low oxygen. Nitric oxide is a potent antioxidant that combats free- radical injury to the heart muscle.
- Tocotrienols — 10–20 mg. Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and overall arterial health.
- Vitamin B6 — 110–120 mg. Helps to keep homocysteine levels in check, promotes healthy adrenal function, and maintains proper potassium balance. Potassium helps support normal heart rhythms and regulate blood pressure levels.
- Vitamin B12 — 100–200 mcg. Vitamin B12 works along with folic acid and vitamin B6 to convert homocysteine into a harmless compound that the body can eliminate through the urinary tract.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid, buffered ascorbates) — 2,000–2,500 mg. Vitamin C helps promote proper HDL cholesterol levels and the production of collagen and glycosaminoglycans, which provide structural strength to arterial walls.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol, mixed tocopherols) — 400–600 IU. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant that helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels. It also helps prevent blood platelets from clumping together. It is most effective when taken with selenium.
More Dr. Williams Advice on Cholesterol
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Relieves everyday joint aches and pains and promotes healthy joints