How to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
It’s hard to believe, but the holiday season is here once again. For many people that means traveling by plane to see family and friends—and being exposed to all kinds of germs along the way.
A few years back, Dr. Jonathan Temte, with the University of Wisconsin, surveyed 641 air travelers and found that
- 7.3 percent had a respiratory infection at the time
- 35.3 percent had been exposed to a person with an acute infection within three days prior to traveling
- 22.5 percent had runny noses
- 14.2 percent had a cough
- 8.3 percent had sore throats
- Four people were traveling with fevers of 100 degrees or more
Add in the tight quarters and recycled air, and it’s no wonder so many of us wind up with colds or flu after spending time on commercial jetliners.
Here’s how I prevent colds and flu when I travel:
- Eucalyptus oil. When it comes to fighting airborne pathogens, I’m a huge fan of the eucalyptus oil product from V-Vax. Every 30 to 60 minutes on longer flights, I mist a couple of squirts into a tissue and inhale the fumes several times. Proper breathing techniques ensure the mist reaches deep into the lungs. Of course, you can use eucalyptus in any situation where you’re in close proximity to others—in church, at movie theaters, and on buses and trains. Look for V-Vax eucalyptus oil online and in health food stores.
- Nasal wash. In addition to eucalyptus oil, I use the xylitol-infused nasal wash Xlear at least twice a day before, during, and for a few days after traveling.
Safe (and healthy) travels, everyone!
You May Also Be Interested In
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain