Could Castor Oil Cure Everything?
There was a time when moms gave their kids a spoonful of castor oil to ward off anything ailing them. The bad taste may have made the remedy an unpopular one, but the moms were definitely onto something.
Castor oil boosts the immune system and can effectively treat a wide range of health problems: acne, constipation, bursitis, sprains, strains, and toenail fungus, to name a few. It is also one of the best ways to treat cold or flu symptoms.
I’ll be the first to admit that taking castor oil isn’t exactly mouth-watering (at least in a good way). Fortunately, you can realize all of the same benefits from a topical castor oil pack applied to the abdomen. Using castor oil this way improves the performance of the thymus gland and other parts of the immune system, and helps boost energy.
Follow these steps to make a cold-curing castor oil pack:
- Place a heating pad on a flat surface and turn the setting to high.
- Lay a plastic garbage bag on top of the heating pad.
- Soak two or three 12-inch squares of flannel in one-half cup of cold-pressed castor oil. Place them on top of the garbage bag.
- Wrap yourself in a large bath towel to keep oil from getting on your bedding. Then place the entire pack against your body with the oil-soaked flannel next to your skin.
- Relax for an hour with the heating pad at the highest temperature you can tolerate.
- When you remove the pad, massage the remaining oil into your skin or clean it off with a quart of warm water mixed with two tablespoons of baking soda. To reuse the flannel, keep it in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Let it warm up before you use it again, and refresh it with one to two tablespoons of fresh castor oil.
Look for castor oil at your health food store.
You May Also Be Interested In
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain