Which Probiotic Bacteria Strains Offer the Most Digestive Health Benefits?
Find out which types of beneficial bacteria you definitely want in your probiotic supplement
There are many strains of probiotic (beneficial) bacteria that will boost your digestive health—and overall health. And when you are looking for a good probiotic supplement, you should choose one that contains a mix of a number of different probiotic strains in order to reap the most benefits from it. Some of the exceptionally powerful strains of probiotic bacteria that will specifically enhance digestion include:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus. This probiotic strain is important for maintaining the integrity of your intestinal walls so you can enjoy maximum absorption of nutrients, and it supports a healthy immune system.
- Lactobacillus fermentum. These beneficial bacteria help neutralize some of the toxic products made during digestion and promote a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Known as the premier "travel probiotic," this strain of beneficial bacteria has been found to be extremely effective in reducing occurrences of traveler's diarrhea.
- Bifidobacteria bifidum. Both your small and large intestine need this probiotic strain for smooth, healthy digestion. It's especially helpful for proper digestion of dairy products.
- Bifidobacteria longum. This beneficial bacteria strain helps to crowd out bad bacteria that cause discomfort and helps to neutralize everyday toxins in the gut. It also helps efficiently break down carbohydrates without producing excess gas.
More Dr. Williams Advice on Digestive Health and Probiotics
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain