Why Do Muscles Cramp and Spasm?

Filed Under: Muscle Cramps and Spasms, Bone & Joint Health

Learn why calcium levels are vital for preventing cramps and spasms

While there is no single definitive cause of muscle cramps and spasms, I would estimate that a calcium deficiency is to blame 90 percent of the time. The remaining 10 percent can stem from a circulation problem or the body’s inability to use calcium.

Calcium is needed by every muscle fiber. Once a muscle fiber contracts or shortens, it must have calcium to relax. Any muscle in the body may react to improper calcium levels. That's why I say calcium is the vital link in muscle relaxation.

More Dr. Williams Advice on Muscle Cramps and Spasms

DISCLAIMER: The content of DrDavidWilliams.com is offered on an informational basis only, and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the guidance of a qualified health provider before making any adjustment to a medication or treatment you are currently using, and/or starting any new medication or treatment. All recommendations are "generally informational" and not specifically applicable to any individual's medical problems, concerns and/or needs.

Enjoy What You've Just Read?

Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides from Dr. Williams!