Here's a simple solution to fight chronic fatigue
Tired all the time? No wonder. It’s not a coincidence that “chronic fatigue syndrome” began to appear only within the last 25 years or so. Modern life is much faster-paced and stressful than the everyday life our forebears experienced. Even when you’re not up and doing, there’s the expectation that you should be. Fortunately, for most people there’s a simple solution to fatigue.
Your energy level is regulated by hormones from two sources: the thyroid and the adrenals. Most doctors know to check for thyroid function, but for some reason adrenal function seems to get overlooked. Even when the adrenals are suspected, conventional testing can be complex and time-consuming. You don’t need to go through the procedure, however, because there are some simple signs of adrenal overload. You may need adrenal support if you experience one or more of the following signs, in addition to your fatigue:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness when arising quickly from a sitting or lying position; after standing for long periods of time; or after taking a long hot shower.
- Frequent urination.
- Sensitivity to sunlight.
- Difficulty driving at night.
- Craving for salty foods.
Pediatricians tell me that they see similar collections of symptoms in athletic teenage girls. (Well, maybe not the driving part. What teenage driver would ever admit to a weakness when it comes to driving?) There’s even an official name for the condition: “neurally mediated hypotension.” No matter what your age, it often comes down to low adrenal function.
How to Boost Your Adrenal Function
For most everyone, adrenal support is very straightforward.
- First, make sure you’re taking a good multinutrient, one that contains at least a B-50 formulation (that is, at least 50 mg—or mcg, as appropriate—of each of the various B vitamins).
- Add at least 2,000 mg of vitamin C to your daily routine.
- Add malic acid and magnesium. Both help convert fats and carbohydrates into cellular energy. A good combination product is Ultra ATP+ Double strength, available at Prohealth.
For direct adrenal support, take the glandular supplement called Drenamin, from Standard Products. Glandulars are extracts of actual animal glands (in the case of Drenamin, from cows) that provide the raw materials your glands need for proper function. It’s almost like the supplement “resets” your body. Drenamin is available at Spinelife.