The Digestive Health Benefits Of Probiotic Supplements
Discover how your body will benefit from supplementing with probiotics
The beneficial bacteria contained within a good probiotic supplement will aid digestion and nutrient absorption, keep your digestive system healthy, and even enhance overall health by:
- Stimulating the digestive process and making it more efficient.
- Enhancing lactose digestion and utilization.
- Breaking down undigested foods, including carbohydrates, in the intestines.
- Aiding absorption of nutrients, including B vitamins and vitamin K.
- Neutralizing some of the toxic products produced during digestion and everyday toxins we encounter.
- Promoting optimal bowel pH, which helps to balance the delicate flora.
- Promoting regular bowel movements.
- Boosting immune function.
If you've never taken a probiotic supplement before, however, you will probably notice some changes in your body when you start. For example, you may experience:
- Minor bloating, flatulence, intestinal gas, or rumbling. This is normal, temporary, and nothing to be alarmed about. These symptoms are a sign that the pH of your bowel is undergoing a change. As the beneficial bacteria become established, they will begin to eliminate undesirable strains of bacteria—which naturally changes the pH in the colon and results in a more healthy environment. This change often takes place over a couple of weeks.
- Easier and more frequent bowel movements. This is one of the greatest side benefits of probiotics. Constipation problems often become a thing of the past.
- An increase in overall energy. This may not happen overnight, but as the colon gradually becomes more efficient at removing waste material (and the toxins the waste carries), producing vitamins, and keeping pathogenic bacteria in check, an increase in energy is a natural consequence.
More Dr. Williams Advice on Digestive Health and Probiotics
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Williams!
Meet Dr. Williams
For more than 25 years, Dr. David Williams has traveled the world researching alternative therapies for our most common health problems—therapies that are inexpensive and easy to use, and therapies that treat the root cause of a problem rather than just its symptoms. More About Dr. Williams
Dr. Williams's Favorites
Enhanced support for healthy digestion and lasting, natural energy
Improve circulation, HDL cholesterol, CRP, and triglycerides
The doctor-recommended secret to boundless energy and total body wellness
Extra-strength relief for chronic joint pain